- Read the Curatorial Essay
We wish to acknowledge the scholars and culture bearers whose contributions informed present and prior versions of this exhibition: Chief Nancy Milette Doucet (Koasek), Robert Goodby, Ph.D. (Archeologist), Sherry Gould (Nulhegan), Rose Hartwell (Elnu), Rich Holschuh (Elnu), Rick Hunt, Melody Makin (Elnu), Norm M’Sadoques (Elnu), Jess Robinson, Ph.D. (Vermont State Archeologist), Jim Taylor (Elnu), and Frederick M. Wiseman, Ph.D. (Missisquoi).
EXHIBITION SCHEDULE 2022 through 2023*
- May 15 to October 15, 2022 – Lake Champlain Maritime Museum, Vergennes, VT.
- June 18 to October 15, 2022 – Brattleboro Museum of Arts & Culture, Brattleboro, VT.
- November to Spring 2023 – Institute for American Indian Studies, Washington, CT.
- TBA 2023 – Bixby Memorial Library, Vergennes, VT.
*To request more details about the exhibit or to schedule the exhibition at your venue, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- June 18, Saturday, 5 p.m. — Opening Celebration of Summer Exhibits
- June 18 & 19, 2:00 p.m. — Gallery Talk, Lake Champlain Maritime Museum
- June 24, Friday, 7 p.m. — Nebizun Celebration & Curator Talk
- July 29, Friday, 10am to 2:00pm Abenaki Free Arts, Lake Champlain Maritime Museum.
- August 3, Wednesday, 10:00am – Virtual Abenaki Free Arts for Little Ones. On Zoom. Registration required.
- August 3, Wednesday, 3:00pm – Virtual Abenaki Free Arts for Little Ones. On Zoom. Registration required. https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZModOigrDgjGtzr6wmZmr5KSNKEepPGbWKf?fbclid=IwAR1RTCOmlYNPqcC7wDotwVsVd7wLuHZIkxL3UIosR3FU8gLfBF9AZV6PQJI
- August 6, 11:00am-3:00pm — Water is Life: Abenaki Free Arts, Brattleboro Museum of Art & Culture.
- August 11, Thursday, 7 p.m. — Abenaki Cuisine Demo: Chef Jessee Lawyer
Charlie Adams (Elnu), Vicki Blanchard (Nulhegan), Joe Bruchac (Nulhegan), Bill Gould (Nulhegan), Francine Poitras Jones (Nulhegan), Jeanne Morningstar Kent (Nulhegan), Melody Walker Makin (Elnu), Lucy Cannon Neel (Nulhegan), Hawk Schulmeisters (Elnu), Breanna Sheehan (Elnu), Linda Longtoe Sheehan (Elnu), Chief Roger Longtoe Sheehan (Elnu), Vera Longtoe Sheehan (Elnu), JES (Elnu), Chief April St Francis Rushlow (Missisquoi), Dorothy Tondreau (Elnu), Amy Hook-Therrien (Koasek), and Aaron York (Missisquoi).
Special thanks to Frederick M. Wiseman, Ph.D. for the usage of his family’s fishing equipment.